When it comes to monthly expenses, travel is usually the last thing on the brain. After rent/mortgage, food, gas and other costs it’s sometimes hard to come up with the money for a vacation. But for most people taking a vacation is something they can’t imagine doing without.
In 2018, the average vacation expense per person in the United States is $4,580 for a family of four. That translates to just $100 a week that you would need to stash away for your annual getaway. So where can you get that dough? Here are some simple tricks and tips you can use to save for your next trip:
– Make more meals at home: Eating out can cost you as much as $40 per meal or more. That same meal could potentially cost $10 or less if you made it home. The more meals you make at home the more money in your vacation fund!
– Clip coupons: $1 off your cereal or laundry detergent might not seem like much, but the more coupons you use the more you can save. The best part is you don’t even need to add the cost of newspapers anymore to get access to high value coupons. Manufacturers offer all kinds of coupons online. Simply print them before you head to the grocery store!
– Switch to generic for everything: Most generic products are so similar to the original thing you won’t even notice the difference and you can save as much as 50%.
– Sell some stuff: You could sell clothes you don’t wear at a consignment shop, products you have never used on eBay, furniture you no longer want on Craigslist and before you know it you will have the vacation money.
– Skip the coffee shop: That daily $3.50 grande latte may seem nice now, but you could make a similar treat at home and pocket hundred of dollars a year. Here are a bunch of coffee recipes you can make at home.
This is obviously by no means an exhaustive list! There are thousands of ways you can save money easily. What are your favorite ways to save for a vacation?